If you are an energised, self-starter and a highly motivated individual who enjoys taking on complex projects with a civil action and activist mind-set, then being a part of the team at OUTA may be for you.
We are always on the lookout for dynamic individuals to expand our Investigative, Research, Legal, Communications and Administrative teams. Have a look through the vacancies below, send us your CV and a short motivational letter using the forms provided.
Date of Position Opening: December 2016
OUTA is a civil action (non-profit) organization that tackles public interest matters, specifically in the areas of holding leadership and state institutions to account for maladministration, neglect of duty and / or corruption related to public sector expenditure.
To be effective in our work, we have developed our own internal litigation capacity, aimed at guiding the organization on legal direction, investigating and case building. This position and the legal team enables OUTA to reduce its legal costs significantly, as many of the projects undertaken will lead to legal challenges being raised.
The Head of Legal Affairs at OUTA oversees all the litigation actions implemented by the Organisation, providing legal guidance, opinions, and input of legal strategies to advance purpose of litigation undertaken. Central to this position is getting involved, whilst also providing leadership to direct the small team of legal personnel (case builders and investigators) for project specific litigation, case building, drafting of legal letters, and engaging with external legal counsel. Also pertinent to this position is project managing the litigation work through the organisation’s project management system. Working to tight deadlines and in a team environment is important.
Attributes and abilities
- Strategic and conceptual orientated individual.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Exceptional lateral thinker and broad approach strategy to achieving goals of the various cases/projects
- Ability to provide Legal Risk and Compliance advice to the Board of Directors
Duties and responsibilities
- Providing support and guidance to the litigation team on all matters pertinent to case-building.
- The individual will be responsible for the integrity of all investigative information.
- Handle and conduct media interviews and enquiries on legal activity related to OUTA’s projects.
- The ability to understand and manage the process flow in the following courts: High Court, Magistrates Court, Labour Court, Constitutional Court, Land Claims Court, CCMA.
- The drafting of court documents and applications.
- Consulting and briefing Counsel.
- Liaising with whistleblowers and providing expert advice.
- Drafting of expert opinions and reports.
- Admitted Advocate.
- In depth understanding and knowledge of public and administrative law.
- Legal risk and practice management.
- Extensive business writing skills.
- Advance knowledge of relevant legislation, including but not limited to, the Companies Act, PFMA, the Constitution, PAJA, PAIA.
- Draft legal documents and conduct legal research
- Management of a team conducting the relevant research and investigations
Main Office: Randburg, Johannesburg, South Africa.
R780,000 to R900,000 per annum, Cost to Company.
Kindly submit your resume via the form below. Only those candidates deemed most qualified by the hiring manager will be contacted to interview within 21 days of submission. Should you not receive feedback within 14 days of our acknowledgement of receipt of your CV, please accept that your application will not have met with our approval to go through to the next round of the interview process.