HOW DO WE INTEND TO DEAL WITH THIS MATTER?
It would be wrong to sit back and witness the introduction of another ineffective tax which further adds stress to an over-burdened society. As such, we will engage in the policy submission process and lobby government for the following:-
- To amended the Caron Tax Bill to ensure the bulk of revenue from this tax is allocated or ring-fenced for effective and transparent investment in the green economy.
- To ensure carbon offset investment is stimulated through the equitable allocation of Carbon Tax reductions in line with the amount invested in UNCCC verified carbon offset projects.
- To request verification processes are optimised to ensure minimal impact on business processes and administration costs.
- We will engage in Public Participation Processes and provide input and recommendations on proposed legislation.
- We will consider initiatives to mobilise the necessary resources as to oppose the implementation of such an act if our requests for amendments are not adequately met.
We urgently request big companies and their respective industry associations to assess the impact and burden of Carbon Tax on their businesses and to seriously question the need for yet another regressive tax on society. It is essential all affected parties comment on the proposed regulations and legislation in order to ensure sufficient public participation.