SABC Media Release

HLAUDI’S GRANDSTANDING RAISES QUESTIONS OF MOTIVE

Wednesday’s press conference by Hlaudi Motsoeneng was nothing other than a grandstanding charade of self-glorification which raises questions about the real motive of the event.

“To us, it is clear Mr Motsoeneng accepts no responsibility for the plight and poor performance the SABC has suffered during his tenure as COO,” says Dominique Msibi, OUTA’s Portfolio Director. “His staged performance, along with those singing his praises for the SABC 90% local content policy, ignores the fact the SABC has suffered immensely as a direct result of his decisions.”

In his hour-long speech, he self-praised his perceived single-handed successes, whilst taking swipes at members of the Interim SABC Board and singling out Krish Naidoo in a personal attack.

“We must not forget this is the Hlaudi who self-proclaimed he performs miracles wherever he goes,” adds Msibi. “We however are reminded by the Western Cape High Court ruling of December 2016, that Motsoaneng’s appointment as the SABC’s group executive of corporate affairs was unlawful and irrational and the reason we laid criminal charges against him in December last year – a matter which we are still awaiting a progress report from the SA Police Services.”

We believe that Mr Motsoeneng press charade is an attempt to derail the Interim Board’s work to investigate and correct the wrongdoing under his leadership. OUTA is impressed at the Interim Board’s swift action to address damage caused by Mr Motsoeneng’s conduct and will assist by providing facts and input on questionable decisions and contracts entered into by the SABC over the past few years.

“It will take years to undo the destruction caused by Mr Motsoeneng and lift the state broadcaster up to the credible status it once enjoyed,” says Msibi.

Latest Media Releases

email

MEDIA ARCHIVE

Archives
  • 2017 (8)
  • 2016 (6)
email