Legal Advisor: Local
If you are an energised, self-starter, highly motivated individual who enjoys taking on complex projects with a civil action and activist mind-set, then this position may be for you.
Job title Legal Advisor: Local
Reports to Chief Legal Officer / Legal Manager
Position Type Full time
The holder of this position will be responsible for conducting project specific legislative research in order to support the identification of legal frameworks for potential action/ litigation, drafting of legal documents and providing assistance to the Chief Legal Officer and/ or legal managers and/ or Senior Legal Advisors. Working to tight deadlines and in a team environment is vital.
- Legal / business writing skills
- Excellent communication ability, both written and oral
- Drafting of legal documents
- Ability to assist in case building
- Conduct legal research
- Organisational-, administrative- and record keeping skills
- Strategic and conceptual orientated individual
- Lateral thinker
- Diligent and pays attention to detail
- Interest in social and economic justice and human rights
- Ability to stand for OUTA’s vision, mission and mandate
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide project specific legal research of a high quality whilst staying abreast of legal developments
- Responsible for the integrity and relevance of legal research and legal investigations
- Responsible for all legal research and legal investigations pertinent to case-building including but not limited to the study of case law, legislation and interpretation thereof
- Identify relevant / pertinent issues when planning cases
- Ensure the correct information required is obtained to support cases
- Determine the case framework and assist in deciding the legal route to be taken
- Work in collaboration with investigations, research, project managers and legal team
- Drafting of court documents and applications
- Drafting of legal letters, pleadings, complaints (both civil and criminal) etc.
- Responsible for the organised, neat and presentable manner of filing and the general day-to-day administrative duties
- Responsible for the administration of the in-house project management tool, ProofHub as far as it relates to the Legal Department
- Legal qualification
- Admitted attorney with 1 – 5 years post admission experience
- Understanding and knowledge of legal terminology
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, including but not limited to, Procedural and substantive (Criminal and Civil) law, the Companies Act, PFMA, MFMA, PAJA, PAIA and the Constitution
Main Office: Randburg, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Kindly submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates deemed most qualified by the hiring manager will be contacted to interview within 21 days of submission. Should you not receive feedback within 14 days of our acknowledgement of receipt of your CV, please accept that your application will not have met with our approval to go through to the next round of the interview process.
Kindly complete the Predictive Index assessment after submitting a copy of your CV – https://assess.predictiveindex.com/AMMow