The appointment of SABC interim board supporters Khanyisile Kweyama, Mathatha Tsedu, Febe Potgieter-Gqubule, Krish Naidoo, and John Mattison are a welcomed relief. These five supporters will, however, have their hands full when attempting to steer this mammoth organisation into calmer waters.
In recent times, the SABC has been plagued by scandals and management upheavals; and needs steady hands and clear heads to attend to the myriad of ills existing in this once powerful organisation.
Amongst other challenges they will be expected to:
- Calm the tensions existing in the SABC,
- Attend to all the recommendations made by the ad-hoc committee,
- Ensure the Public Protector’s report/s are implemented,
- Recruit appropriately skilled and qualified senior people,
- Institute disciplinary processes against individuals who transgressed,
- Review all the contracts signed during the previous 36 months for legality, whether they are needed and if they are reasonably priced.
And all this within 6 months.
OUTA believes that with the right support, these individuals are fit for the task and will lay the foundation for the turnaround of the organisation which is required before the permanent board is appointed.