Budget 2020 in the time of Covid-19
Budget 2020 is being rewritten because of economic fallout from Covid-19. OUTA has made submissions to Parliament to support this process.
OUTA made eight submissions to Parliament on the Budget during 2020/21, on the main Budget, the Supplementary Budget and the MTBPS.
On 26 February 2020, Minister of Finance Tito Mboweni presented the national Budget 2020/21.
On 24 June, the Minister updated Budget 2020 with a Supplementary Budget. This is an unprecedented situation, and it is due to the need to budget for the R500 billion which President Cyril Ramaphosa promised in economic support due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
In October, the Minister presented the Medium-Term Budget Policy Statement (MTBPS).
As part of the budget process, OUTA submitted comment on all three Budgets to various parliamentary committees.
OUTA’s comment on the Appropriations Bill was made in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the need to make significant changes for the Supplementary Budget, and the effect of this on public spending. This came against the background of the financial collapse of state-owned entities and the urgent need for economic stability and growth in an extremely unfavourable situation.
1. OUTA's submission on 11 March 2020, on the Division of Revenue Bill 2020, to the Standing and Select Committees on Appropriations, is here.
Supplementary Budget 2020:
4. OUTA's submission on 2 July 2020 to the Standing and Select Committees on Finance is here.
5. OUTA's submission on 10 July 2020, on the Mineral Resources and Energy vote, is here. Energy Governance South Africa wrote to Parliament in support of this submission; a copy of this letter is here.
6. OUTA's submission on 17 July 2020, to the Standing and Select Committees on Appropriations, is here.
7. OUTA's submission on 2 November 2020, to the Standing and Select Committees on Finance, is here and the presentation is here.
8. OUTA's submission on 20 November 2020, to the Standing and Select Committees on Appropriations, is here, and the presentation on 27 November is here.
Water & Sanitation
Comms & Digital Tech